Monday, June 3, 2013

Andrew and the Lullaby

Dearest Andrew,
There are some memories in life that you wish desperately that you could get on film, but at the same time, it wouldn't be as special.  Since you were born I have sang to you almost every night.  Most of those nights I sing either Dream a Little Dream of Me or You Are My Sunshine.  Every night that I sing to you, I always end with Jesus Loves Me.  You have heard these three songs hundreds of times.  I have heard you try and sing along with You Are My Sunshine and Jesus Loves Me, but tonight you sang parts of Dream a Little Dream of Me for the first time.  Now you would think I would be most thrilled to hear you sing about Jesus loving you, and I am.  I want you to get at a very young age just how much He loves you.  I want you to have a real, lasting relationship with your Creator, the one who died for you.  I also love to hear your little voice hit the high notes in You Are My Sunshine because it is one of the most precious, heart-melting things I have ever heard.  But as much as I love those two songs, for some reason Dream a Little Dream of Me has a special meaning to me.  That was the first song I ever sang to you.  I'm not really sure why I chose that song, other than I like it, but I just did.  I have sung it to you so many times and it's kind of our song.  If I happen to hear it while I am away from you (which thankfully isn't often), I can't help but smile and even get a little teary.  It's a mom thing.  Hearing you sing is the most special gift ever.  I think it's awesome that you know so much of these songs already (Daddy and I can't quit talking about how smart you are!), but at the same time, it's a bond between you and I.  I hope you will always know how very deep my love is for you.  Forgive Mommy for getting a little mushy, but that's what mommies do.  We can't help it, our kids make us that way.  I love you.  Thanks for singing with me.  I wish I could have it on video, us snuggled up in our chair singing, but I have a feeling I will never, ever forget it.  No video required.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are one special Mommy...

Aunt Mary

Katherine said...

That is really sweet Aunt Mary! That made my day!!! :)

Vicky Hensley said...

And to know Katherine's beautiful voice is singing that lullaby - I'd love to hear it!